When I was 11 years old, I brought a birthday party to a crashing stop. One of my best friends was celebrating her 12th birthday with burgers, ice cream, movies, and a slumber party. It was getting late as we sang in the car and ate ice cream, but I was ready to keep having fun. When some cross contamination from peanuts in my toppings brought the night to a screeching halt, however, I had to instead tried my best to remain calm as I was rushed the nearest hospital. In the United States alone, 15 million other people like me suffer from food allergies, terrified that one unclean chopping board or pan could be fatal.
The term “allergy” was coined in 1906, the same year a pediatrician... READ MORE